Current Service Activities
[A] New Service Opportunity :
- Mobile Loaves & Fishes (MLF):
We are very happy to let you know that we started the new Service Opportunity last saturday February 16th, with the help and support from all of you. Mobile Loaves & Fishes (MLF) is a food truck service, where volunteers hit the street seven nights a week, 365 days a year to serve the homeless, delivering food, clothing, hygiene products and other items.
Sathya Sai Center of Austin will join Riverbend Church in Austin, and use their MLF Kitchen, to support/continue the feeding program to the homeless.
We have started this service on February 16th, and for now will continue on every 3rd Saturday. Going forward we intend to intensify this service based on availability and interest of volunteers.
For more details and information please contact Jay Solankee email@example.com or call 512-968-6669
Click here to see Pictures from last service activity.
[B] Bread Pickup/Sandwich Service
- Bread Pickup Service : Currently we are continuing the Bread pickup service to pick up from HEB’s and handing over to Salvation Army and other places. For more details on this activity, please contact Lakshminarayan Thandu firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-964-0712
- Sandwich Service : Few active volunteers of the Austin Sai Center prepare about 120 sandwiches every saturday and distribute it early morning as breakfast along with a goody bag containing water/juice, banana etc., If you would like to know more or participate, please contact Lakshminarayan Thandu for more details email@example.com or call 512-964-0712
- Soup Kitchen Cook Book
[C] Nursing Home Visits
- 1st Saturday of Each Month, 3:00pm – 4:30pm and 4th Saturday of Each Month, 10:30am – 11:30 am
- Location: 3509 Rogge Lane, Austin TX 78723
- Details: Twice a month, a few members of the Austin Sai Center devote time to spend with the underprivileged, and many times forgotten residents of a local nursing home in East Austin. The activities involve fun games such as bingo, music and snacks.
[D] Elementary School Tutoring
- Every Monday from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
a.Allison elementary: 515 Vargas Rd, Austin, TX 78741
b.Baghdad elementary: 800 Deercreek Ln Leander, TX 78641
- Every Tuesday from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Location: McBee elementary: 1101 W Braker Ln Austin, TX 78758
- Details: On the education front, we have been conducting after school tutoring at McBee, Allison and Baghdad Elementary schools which primarily have children from low-income families. In association with the School authorities we have devised a curriculum to teach the children Mathematics and help with the STAAR test preparation. Further, as part of total development, children are encouraged to learn and play mental games like chess. Children are provided with light snacks also.
This activity is conducted every Monday and Tuesday from 5.30PM – 7.00PM. About fifty to sixty children attend and benefit from this program. The experience and feedback from the school authorities is positive and favourable. We the members of the Austin Sai Centre have the satisfaction of making and seeing few young ones smiling.
[E] Birthday celebration for Austin State Hospital residents
- 3rd Friday of Each Month, 5:45pm – 7:00pm
- Location: 4110 Guadalupe, Austin, TX 78751
- Details: Once a month, members of the Sai center host a birthday party for residents of the Austin State Hospital. This service activity takes place a few buildings away from the All Faith chapel (our weekly meeting place).
Core Service Activities Schedule
- Weekly Sat – Food pickup service: HEB’s to Salvation Army and other places, 6:00 am – 8:00 am
- Weekly Tue – McBee Elementary Tutoring: TAKS/STAAR preparation, 5:30-7:00 pm
- Weekly Mon – Allison Elementary Tutoring: TAKS/STAAR preparation, 5:30-7:00 pm
- Monthly Sat – Walnut Hills Nursing Home: Visits, treats, bingo, music, 10:30 – 11:30 am
- Monthly Fri – Austin State Hospital: Visits, treats, gifts, music, 5:30 – 7:00 pm
- Bi-Annually Sat – Family Medical Camps: Screening, prescriptions, follow-up, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Annually Sat – Austin Children’s Shelter (for protected children): Party/celebrations
- Special Projects: Food/Cans/Toy/Coat drives, Swami B’Day + special occasions, regional, etc