Austin Current Activities
Soup Kitchen Food Service
- Location: Caritas of Austin, Corner of 7th street and Neches in Downtown Austin
- When: Every Saturday, 6:30 am – 2:30 pm
- Soup Kitchen Cook Book
- Details: The Austin Sai Center Centre provides breakfast and lunch every Saturday at a downtown location. We use the premises and infrastructure of another charitable institution called “Caritas” and serve about 400 to 600 people with Breakfast and Lunch. The breakfast menu comprises sandwiches, cereals, fruits and juice whilst the lunch menu has cooked item like pasta or soup besides fruits, cakes, bread items and ice tea. Our breakfast team prepare the items and lay them on trays and also set up the juice and water counters. Breakfast service commences at seven and closes at nine. This is followed by clean up of dining and kitchen areas.
From here on our lunch service volunteers takeover and start the preparatory activities inclusive of a hot food preparation. Lunch service commences at 11AM and closes at 1PM. This is followed by cleaning and disposal of trash to leave the premises and facility in the same status before our use. By 3PM our volunteers return back home after a satisfying day’s service and continue retaining the joy of this activity for few more hours till their next turn comes.
Nursing Home Visits
- 4th Saturday of Each Month, 10:30am – 11:30 am
- Location: 3509 Rogge Lane, Austin TX 78723
- Details: Once a month, a few members of the Austin Sai Center devote time to spend with the underprivileged, and many times forgotten residents of a local nursing home in East Austin. The activities take place every fourth Saturday of the month for about 1 1/2 hours, and involve fun games such as bingo, music and snacks.
Elementary School Tutoring
- Every Monday from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
a.Allison elementary: 515 Vargas Rd, Austin, TX 78741
b.Baghdad elementary: 800 Deercreek Ln Leander, TX 78641
- Every Tuesday from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Location: McBee elementary: 1101 W Braker Ln Austin, TX 78758
- Details: On the education front, we have been conducting after school tutoring at McBee, Allison and Baghdad Elementary schools which primarily have children from low-income families. In association with the School authorities we have devised a curriculum to teach the children Mathematics and help with the STAAR test preparation. Further, as part of total development, children are encouraged to learn and play mental games like chess. Children are provided with light snacks also.
This activity is conducted every Monday and Tuesday from 5.30PM – 7.00PM. About fifty to sixty children attend and benefit from this program. The experience and feedback from the school authorities is positive and favourable. We the members of the Austin Sai Centre have the satisfaction of making and seeing few young ones smiling.
Birthday celebration for Austin State Hospital residents
- 3rd Friday of Each Month, 5:45pm – 7:00pm
- Location: 4110 Guadalupe, Austin, TX 78751
- Details: Once a month, members of the Sai center host a birthday party for residents of the Austin State Hospital. This service acitivity takes place before the center meets and a few buildings away from the All Faith chapel (our weekly meeting place).